October 29, 2005

The sky is a landscape
John Constable once wrote:
"The landscape painter who does not make skies a very material part of his composition, neglects to avail himself to one of his greatest aids. It will be difficult to name a class of landscape in which the sky is not the key note, the standard of scale and the chief organ of sentiment"
This shot is noteworthy to me because it was taken on a weekend when I was trying to "master" the spot metering capabilities of the camera. I made a lot of bad exposures but, of course, you don't learn without the mistakes! This one was pleasing to me because I felt it began to explore and convey some of the emotion that Constable was refering to.


Skies over the south coast, UK. April 2005
Panasonic FZ20, ISO 80, spot metered
1/1300th @ f8, 12.3mm

No comments: